Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Long Awaited Day

I went to bed Saturday night thinking there was no way that Mr. Jack was going to come any day soon even though Tim was confident I was going to have a baby that night. I woke up needing to go to the restroom at 5:30 Sunday morning. When I returned to bed, I told John that I THOUGHT I was having contractions. It is hard to know if you are having them when you don't really know what they feel like! We began timing them while we talked about the possibility of what this might mean. They were lasting 20-30 seconds every 5 minutes. After about 30 minutes, we decided to go tell John's parents who just happened to spend the night that night. They shot out of bed ready to go to the hospital, but I calmed them down, took a shower, and ate breakfast before leaving for the hospital around 6:40-ish. I managed to grab a quick shot before we left the house.


 At this point, my easy contractions were beginning to be really painful, and all I could think of is John...drive faster! We got to the hospital and checked in about 7:00 a.m. I was already at an 8 when they checked me in triage, and I was quickly given a room while the pain was getting more and more. They hooked the monitors on, made me sign all these papers, and finally the head nurse was called in to start my IV. I couldn't get my epidural until 10 minutes AFTER my IV was in so I was breathing through these rough contractions while grasping John's hand and pleading for that epidural! Quickly after my IV was in, my water broke at 8:08. I asked then when I could get my epidural, and the news they gave me almost sent me into tears. There was no time for an epidural, no time for pain medicine in my IV, no time for my mom or sister to make it into the room with me because they were still hours away, no time for a doctor to even deliver. Mr. Jack was ready to enter this world. 6 minutes after my water broke, at 8:14, Jack was here delivered by 4 amazing nurses. I couldn't have asked for anything quicker. He weighed in at 7 lbs, 15 oz and was 20 inches long. John and I were both in shock as we stared at Jack. The doctor did finally arrive in time to stitch me up. John's parents were there to hold him, and my mom made it about an hour later followed by my dad. Throughout the day, Jack was loved on by 28 different family and friends. We knew that this little gift was loved not only by us but also by those who love us. As we look back at that day, we realized that as much as John and I like to plan and as much as that day didn't go to plan, God had a better plan than we did! Isn't that always true, though? 


 



Our first family photo!
Some amazing friends!

Jack - you could not be loved more.

No comments:

Post a Comment